Monday, April 23, 2012

Week Six



I cannot begin to describe how amazing this last week has been for the both of us and for the Tennis Federation of Cambodia. We showed up in Qatar, Doha at the bottom of the rankings because we have no Davis Cup history and left finishing at the top, undefeated with a promotion to Group III next year! History was definitely in the making this week and we are both proud and excited to be part of it. It is still hard to believe that only 5 months ago my Father wrote an e-mail to the Tennis Federation of Cambodia about us, giving us this opportunity of a lifetime that I can share with my kids someday and hopefully they share with theirs. Knowing the history of Cambodia and what they have been through and overcame was definitely a big motivator to push myself to play my hardest everyday when I stepped on the court this last week. I think it is important to know the struggles and the tribulations that have happened here to get a better picture of what this means for Cambodia. If you could have seen how some of the other countries looked at us and brushed us off because we were the last seed and it being our Davis Cup debut, you would think we did not have a shot at making Group III! We were told before leaving to Qatar that we were building the foundation for tennis in Cambodia and we believe that. If you want a sport to grow competitively you have to invest in your junior program and I think what we have accomplished this week will definitely inspire future tennis players in Cambodia to want to be competitive and hopefully someday walk in our footsteps and take it further than we have.


So, you must be wondering what we are going to do with our last 10 days here in Cambodia? Well Pun and I are trying to make our way to Siem Reap where my father lived so we can visit the ancient temple, Angkor Wat and do some exploring of this amazing country. We will most likely go back to Kep again, but mainly we just want to relax before we go back to work! Words cannot express how blessed we feel to have such amazing support back home throughout this journey. We leave here the 3rd of May and get back on the 4th. We are excited to come home and see everyone! Until then, take care!

1 comment:

  1. I have enjoyed reading your adventures, Vetu. You have a delightful writing style and I hope you will continue to blog...publish?

    GwenEllyn Anderson (STSC)

    ReplyDelete